[hcflinux] HCF Rockwell (Conexant) 127A Modem Support

Martin Hughes martin.hughes at mrch.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Apr 20 12:42:33 EDT 2002

Dear Mr Boucher,

Thank you and congratulations for the work that you are doing to provide a Linux Driver for Conexant HCF Modems.

I understand your current policy on supporting 122A type modems to be as follows:

"The old 127A HCF chips (except those on riptide cards) need a bunch of special workarounds as well as different code for the data pump. Historically, the windows driver started off supporting them, but our linux driver has a completely different (newer) architecture that focuses on the more recent chips. Implementing support for the old chips in the new driver would require a lot of time and effort, an investment which is hard to justify for obsolete products."

This is regrettable because a large number of people like myself purchased top of the range PCs (which are not obsolete by any means) which were bundled with this type of modem and we now wish to take the enlightened step migrating from Windows to Linux. At present out the only way of connecting to the internet is to take the retrograde step of booting back into Windows.

I am writing to ask you whether you will seriously and urgently reconsider supporting 127A type HCF Modems. It would be a sad road for a Linux developer to follow by possibly adopting the attitude of a certain nameless major software vendor and forcing obsolescence on perfectly good kit that contains Conexant (Rockwell) chips.

My modem is an Aztech MDP3858SP-W (AZT 4015) and has the following characteristics:

Vendor ID = 127A
Device ID = 1005
Subvendor ID = 122D
Subdevice ID = 4015