[hcflinux] New version on smartdaa modem

John Spray j at mbsi.ca
Thu Apr 25 23:09:57 EDT 2002

With the latest version, I was finally able to fire up my Aztech modem
(14F1:1056).  Thanks Marc!  It was great to finally be able to use this
hardware with linux.

The installation and hcfconfig went flawlessly.  Connecting initally using
kppp works perfectly.  However, there are some issues.  I experience
randomish disconnects - generally around and slightly before 10 minutes
connection duration.  After being disconnected (or disconnecting manually), I
often find it necessary to rmmod and modprobe the modules.  If I don't do
this, sometimes it dials and then I hear nothing (no handshaking), and
sometimes it fails to find a dialtone, instead making a low growling sound.
Redhat PPP dialer produces the growl without fail, even with the modules
freshly loaded.  Reloading the modules isn't a big issue - I've just made a
shell script that does it.

Otherwise, I'm getting excellent performance, with transfer rates exceeding
those of my windows driver.  Good stuff!

I don't have any logs/errors to post right now, I'll try and get some
together soon.

Thanks again Marc, beta-style functionality is a hell of a lot better than
none at all.