[hcflinux] Problem with HCF modem

pmg at abecom.co.uk pmg7 at lineone.net
Wed May 1 23:48:57 EDT 2002

Thanks very much Edward and Bob for your replies (below).

I did not get as far as trying these suggestions, but stumbled on the solution while preparing to do so.  I ran hcfconfig again while trying to find out how to configure the modem as "smarthcf", and was astonished to find that merely re-running hcfconfig had made the problems go away.  But they reappeared the following day.  And they disappeared again when I ran hcfconfig for the third time.

I have re-booted a number of  times since then to confirm what is happening:  After a re-boot of Linux, it consistently fails in the way I described, until hcfconfig has been run again, after which it consistently succeeds.  So for some reason, it is necessary to run hcfconfig every time Linux is re-booted.

There seems to be another intermittent problem when a successful connection is finally disconnected.  On two occasions, the connection failed to clear until I logged out. On one occasion the whole system hung and eventually I had to power it down. Perhaps these are problems with kppp, and not with the modem driver.

However, this is all quite encouraging.  The modem works fast and with no apparent problems while connected, and on one occasion I used it continuously for nearly an hour.

Cheers,
Peter G