[hcflinux] No /dev/ttySHCF0 on Mandrake 8.1 box

Glenn Watson nzglenn at yahoo.com
Sat May 18 00:06:46 EDT 2002

Hi all, I have just put a fresh copy of Mandrake 8.1
onto a PC I have, and attempted to install the HCF
modem drivers.

I have tried both the binary RPMs for Mandrake and the
source TAR versions, but in both cases the
installation proceeds, and says it was successful, but
no device /dev/ttySHCF0 or /dev/cua.. appears that
maps to my modem. /dev/modem still maps to /dev/ttyS0
which obviously gives no response when using kPPP.

The modem's PCI IDs have the following values:
     VENDOR ID              : 14F1
     DEVICE ID              : 1053
     SUBVENDOR ID           : 144F
     SUBDEVICE ID           : 1047
     REVISION ID            : 08

I have no idea if it matters but I installed Mandrake
with ext3 journalled file system, is that known to
cause any issues with the device links not appearing?

I saw several previous messages with similar problems,
but none of the suggestions given in those replies
seems to help with the issue I'm having..

I have a copy of the hcfconfig diagnostic dump sitting
on my HDD if anyone wants me to send it to them??

Thanks for any help
Glenn Watson