[hcflinux] Re: Help please

aif6was9 at netscape.net aif6was9 at netscape.net
Tue May 21 20:31:26 EDT 2002

Thanks for your reply Marc...much appreciated.

I did install the latest driver today (hcflinmodem-0.93mbsibeta02022100)
I did "hcfconfig" after the install and was informed that my modem
should now be accessible as dev/ttySHCFO, but it was not to be found.
I reconfigured my internet connection and then there was both a
dev/ttySHCFO and a cuaHCFO. During the configuration the config wizard
indicated errors had occured and if my connection didn't work to possibly run wizard again. My connection wouldn't work, and I get the same, "kppp
can not find, dev/modem".

When I query the modem, I get,"sorry, can't open modem". When I rebooted to Windows to get internet, and later returned to Mandrake, both dev/
ttySHCFO and cuaHCFO were gone. There is a dev/ttySHCFO in /lib/
dev-state/ , whatever that may indicate.

I am in way over my head here, and I am discouraged. I don't know if
the problem is w/the modem driver, or my system configuration, etc.
Mandrake won't auto-detect my modem during internet config, although
it is shown in the "hardware" list in the control center.

Looks like I need more help than I can get from an email.....
Anyone have anything similar happen?? Maybe something to do
w/Dell....BIOS? I'm stumped, and gone past my ability.

Might give Red Hat 7.3 a try since it's free too.

All the best.

--Angus