[hcflinux] Re: Help please (Angus to Gratiniano)

Angus Auld angusauld at hotmail.com
Wed May 22 20:21:13 EDT 2002

Thank you for the reply....I am using another email account.

I tried to create the link, like you suggested, and I wrote down exactly
what happened. ( I'm using Mdk 8.2 by the way) Here it is:

>As root I entered the following command; ln -s /dev/ttySHCFO /dev/modem and
>got this as output--<ln '/dev/modem': file exists>
I then tried to reconfigure my connection, tried to connect and my modem
dialed up and connected but immediately I got "The pppd daemon died
unexpectedly! Exit status 19". (this is the first time I have gotten this)
>I tried to reconnect and my modem dialed up, connected and then I got the
>same "Exit status 19" again.
(Exit status 19 means, "we failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer".)
>I tried to connect yet again and the modem dialed up and connected and this
>time stayed on. But, the connection was useless, I couldn't do anything
>on-line. If I tried a url in Konqueror I would get, "Error: Unknown host".
>When I tried to access my email I got, "Error connecting to (my pop
>account): "my pop address".
>After about 10 minutes I disconnected, and I am unable to connect. Same old
>thing, "Kppp can not find: /dev/modem".

Any ideas anyone??

This is not a newbie task at all. I thought I might be able to go with a
dual boot on my Dell, and give Linux a try, but it's proving to be a very
daunting task indeed. My Dell is still under warranty, so if I haven't
already voided that w/dual booting, changing my modem would certainly do it.
I am considering maybe going to an external hardware modem and that way I
can leave the cover on my Dell. Any thoughts on this??

--Angus

"LET US NOT LOOK BACK IN ANGER OR FORWARD IN FEAR, BUT AROUND IN
AWARENESS."----James Thurber