[hcflinux] Aztech MDP3858SP-W (AZT 4015) 127A:1005 Mandrake 7.2

tom tom at mail1.eircom.net
Fri May 24 14:03:32 EDT 2002

give more details,
you are using Mandrake, but what do you use to dial up? is it some gui interface? Or are you using pon with chat script or wvdial? Do you get any error messages or status reports?
When you say that the modem logs you in do you mean that you are authenticated ok at the other end? Is that PAP, CHAP?
When you connect and run 'ifconfig' is there an entry for ppp0 in the output?
i.e. something like

ppp0	Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
	inet addr:175.131.24.120   P-t-P:175.131.158.35   Mask:255.255.255.255
	UP POINTTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST . . .
	etc etc . . .

can you ping the remote address of the ppp link? i.e. the address you would see instead of P-t-P (175.131.158.35 in the example above - the address after 'inet addr:' is the address assigned to your machine) ?
can you ping any other address?

if you can ping the far end of the ppp link but not any other IP address then maybe there is sth wrong with the system's routing table. What is the output from 'route -n' ?

And lastly, but most importantly, does what I have just said make any sense to you?

Tom