[hcflinux] Computer freezes with hcf drivers

robert w hall bobh at n-cantrell.demon.co.uk
Tue May 28 08:40:39 EDT 2002

In article <20020528002913.GA7234 at endlich.mbsi.ca>, Marc Boucher
<marc at mbsi.ca> writes
>On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 02:08:04AM +0100, tom wrote:
>> Marc,
>>
>> I thought all kernels in the 2.2.x and 2.4.x series were supported?
>>
>> "HCF for Linux drivers . . . should work on most current Linux
>> distributions, based on the 2.2.x and 2.4.x kernels."
>
>"should work" does not necessarily mean "will work". Although quite a few
>people still successfully use our drivers under 2.2, there are some issues
>with the older kernels which we cannot always avoid.
>
>Generally I think that our energy is better spent improving driver stability
>and functionality on modern kernels rather than wasting hours testing
>or investigating weird interactions with legacy versions.

beg strongly to disagree - if we were using 2.2.1 or something the
'legacy' slur would be correct - but most of us have much later kernels
in the series. Many of us held off going up to 2.4.x while the VM was
being sorted out (and in my case while Netraverse struggled along to
follow the consequent changes with their Win4Lin patches), and have
found the later 2.2.x Kernels quite adequate, thanks.

Some people may be wishing to run these cards in firewall boxes with
limited memory - for these a smaller 2.2.x kernel is appropriate, and
more than adequate.

And I hope we aren't going to get into the M$ mindset where after 3
years an OS is legacy.

Bob
--
robert w hall