[hcflinux] Re: unresolved powermanagement symbols

Marc Boucher marc at mbsi.ca
Sun Jun 2 13:46:25 EDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 05:14:43PM +0100, tomshortall wrote:
> got the new driver : hcflinmodem-0.93mbsibeta02060100
>
> 'make install' works ok
> 'hcfconfig is fine until . . .'
>

> 	Re-compiling HCF modules for kernel 2.4.18, using source directory
> 	/lib/modules/2.4.18/build. Please wait..
> 	Re-compilation and installation of HCF modules succeeded.
> 	depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> 	/lib/modules/2.4.18/misc/hcfserial.o
> 	depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> 	/lib/modules/2.4.18/misc/hcfserial.o
> 	depmod:         pm_unregister_Reccd1e64
> 	depmod:         pm_send_R38ff3ed1
> 	depmod:         pm_register_R8dbab11c
>
> 	Your HCF modem should now be accessible as /dev/ttySHCF0
> 	or through the symbolic link /dev/modem.
>

> So then I try see if it works :
>
> 	jupiter:~# pon
> 	jupiter:~# insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.18/misc/hcfserial.o: insmod
> char-major-240 failed
>

> ok so I do a 'make uninstall'
> I change to the directory of the previous version of the modem driver
> 020526 - which worked fine.
> Do a 'make install' then 'hcfconfig'
> I get the same error message from depmod as when configuring the newest
> version. Woah.
> Tried the version before that (020506) - same thing
>

> insmod goes on about Unresolved symbols when I try to load the modules by
> hand. Same as depmod gets.
>
> What's going on? I haven't complied a new kernel or anything like that.

I think that your kernel configuration has changed. Somehow the
driver is picking up a CONFIG_PM definition when compiling but
your running kernel wasn't built with that.

In short, a discrepancy between your kernel source build environment and
the kernel binary actually running is causing the problem; I don't believe
that it is due to any bug in our driver.

Marc