[hcflinux] Errors. What do it?

Bertrik Sikken bertrik at zonnet.nl
Sun Jun 16 12:17:30 EDT 2002

Hi,

Adriano Carvalho wrote:

> Hi ...Please, help me.
> I was running the hcfconfig when this happenned :
>
> This package does not contain pre-built modules suitable for your system:
>   Kernel arch: i686
>   Kernel version: linux-2.4.5
>
> Trying to automatically re-compile the modules..
> (this requires a C compiler and proper kernel sources to be installed)
> Where is the linux source build directory that matches your running
> kernel?
> [/lib/modules/2.4.5/build]

<depmod errors>

It looks like these errors have nothing to do with the modem
driver. It means that some kernel modules are incompatible with
the kernel image. I think you should reinstall your kernel.

> behind more errors like these.
>
> But in the end, hcfconfig wrote that it was successfully.
> My modem isn't detected after I install driver ! What can I do ?

After installation, try running 'modprobe hcfserial' (as root)
You will then hear some clicks coming from the modem's speaker
(at least I do with my modem) and there will be info in
/var/log/messages about whether the modem was initialised or not:
'tail /var/log/messages'

> My slackware detect this in /pro/pci :
> Bus  0, device   9, function  1:
>     Communication controller: PCI device 14f1:1815 (CONEXANT) (rev 5).
>       IRQ 11.
>       Master Capable.  Latency=160.  Min Gnt=20.Max Lat=40.
>       I/O at 0x1838 [0x183f].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4004000 [0xf4007fff].

Kind regards,
Bertrik