[hcflinux] /dev/ttySHCF0 problem on Slackware 8.0

sinner at pinoymail.com
Tue Jun 25 02:56:46 EDT 2002

My system:
Intel Celeron 300a
Linux - Slackware 8.0(kernel 2.2.19)
HCF MDP3858SP-U Rockwell Internal Modem (127A,1002)

My problem:
Here are the steps I followed ->
1.) downloaded the latest 0.95 tar.gz version of the HCF beta driver.
2.) tar xvzf it to my root directory.
3.) entered the hcf* directory and ran 'make install'.
4.) no errors occurred after 'make install' and driver requested me
to run 'hcfconfig'.
5.) I ran 'hcfconfig', it detected the HCF modem and selected
neccesary config(eg. country) and .inf for it.
6.) because there is no pre-built module for my version of linux it
required me to enter the path to my linux include files
(/usr/src/linux), which I did.
7.) it for sometime compiled the new modules then showed that the
recompilation was successful and my HCF modem is no accessible
through '/dev/ttySHCF0 or /dev/modem'.
8.) I was so glad it did that, now to give it a try.
9.) i started minicom with -s and entered my new device, saved it as
dfl, and exit to enter minicom menu.
10.) BOOM. minicom exited and stated that it can not open device
'/dev/ttySHCF0'. I tried using '/dev/modem' but the same results.
11.) Giving it the benefit of doubt i started 'ppp-on' to dial my
ISP.
12.) BOOM. again displayed '/dev/ttySHCF0' can not be opened. The
same result with '/dev/modem'.

My previous system:
Same PC hardware
this time- Redhat 6.0 (kernel 2.2.15)

Strange, I successfully installed and compiled the 0.95 rpm-src
version of the beta driver and it actually ran without a glitch. I
was able to connect to my ISP using my HCF modem(/dev/ttySHCF0) under
this circumstance.

Finally:
I was wondering then why it wont work with the newer Slackware 8.0
version of Linux?

--
Searching for a word?  Pizza?  Pasta?  Buffalo wings?  Go to Don Henrico's!
Visit http://www.donhenricos.com.ph and book now!