[hcflinux] "No Carrier" error in Red Hat 7.2

Neil Gibbs dblack777 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 12:32:08 EDT 2002

Hello all.  I a newcomer to ppp in Linux. Below is my
system config:

Dell Dimension PIII 500EMHz
Aztech MDP3900V-U
Red Hat 7.2 (w/ 2.4.7-10 kernel) & Win2000 (dual boot)
HCF RPM binary driver for 2.4.7-10
using:kppp, wvdial

I installed the rpm version for RH & the kernel
without any problems.  I used the RH ppp configuration
to set up the ppp access to my ISP using PAP
authentication.  The first time I dialed in without
any problems and surfed for a couple of hours.  The
second attempt, however, brought up a "No Carrier"
message using both wvdial and kppp.  I booted to
windows and dialed in without any problems.  I have
since tried numerous times using wvdial, kppp, etc. to
dial in, resulting in the same message, all the while
windows dials in just fine.  Is it my ISP, or did a
config file get overwritten when I rebooted?  Or is it
something I am totally missing?

Thank you in advance for your help in this.

=====

Mr. Black