[hcflinux] Modem not working on a compaq presario 1211

Bernard Cafarelli (Voyageur) bcafarel at messel.emse.fr
Fri Jul 5 21:18:04 EDT 2002

Le Fri, 5 Jul 2002 08:41:25 -0400
Marc Boucher <marc at mbsi.ca> a écrit:

> This is the problem. the OSMapMemory() function in
> /usr/lib/hcfpci/modules/osspec/osresour.c is being called with
> wrong dwPhysMemBase and dwMemSize values.  Maybe this is caused
> by an incompatible or misconfigured compiler, or a weird PCI
> device configuration (our driver works just fine for many people
> with lan/modem combo devices; you are the first with such symptoms).
>
> These values actually originally come from OSGetPCIDeviceResources()
> in the same file. Perhaps you could add some printk()s to see what
> that function returns..

Good idea I'll try and and some debug messages to the source.
As for PCI config, those compaq laptops almost have no bios (the only options are boot sequence and time setting...)

> Have you applied the ACPI patches?
Hu-oh, yes... I have a vanilla 2.4.18 kernel with the following patches:
2.4.18-rc1-low-latency.patch.bz2
preempt-kernel-rml-2.4.18-5.patch.bz2
acpi-20020517-2.4.18.diff.bz2
rtc-2.4.16.patch.bz2 (from alsa .9.0beta12)

plus alsa, pcmcia and tulip drivers but I hope they're not the problem.

Attached is my config file for the kernel configuration.

Maybe I'll try with a vanilla kernel (or the standard mandrake one), but having to choose between acpi and modem won't be easy.

> What compiler are you using? (gcc -v; kgcc -v)

Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long --enable-cstdio=stdio --enable-clocale=generic --with-gxx-include-dir='$${prefix}/include/g++-v31' --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,objc,java --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.1 (Mandrake Linux 8.3 3.1-0.11mdk)

It comes from a mandrake cooker.
> Marc

Hope it helps.
Regards,