[hcflinux] Debian Install

tom tom at mail1.eircom.net
Tue Jul 9 13:45:30 EDT 2002

basically, when you run 'make install' it compiles some of the driver modules against kernel source which it looks for in the directory /lib/modules/$KERNEL_VER/build where $KERNEL = the name of the current kernel - in your case 2.4.18-bf2.4
Usually this directory is a symlink to the directory containing the kernel sources. Hence the hint to link it to /usr/src/linux-...

It would seem that the kernel sources are not to be found in this place. What this means exactly depends on where you got this kernel

A) it came as part of the Debian install. I don't know what kernels come with the latest version of woody (2.2r6) so I can't say for definate.
In this case you have this problem because you have only the kernel binary installed. You will need to install the kernel sources also with a command like
	apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.18-bf2.4
or you can run the dselect application and select the package of this name from a menu
This sould put the sources in /usr/src and create the symlink from /lib/modules/build
If you are running an older woody (r5) or earlier then it is not part of the standard install so

B) this is a kernel you have downloaded and installed yourself.
Try recompiling and installing.
did you remember to do the full
make bzImage
make modules