[hcflinux] Problem with new version

Niko Kiirala nikokiir at mbnet.fi
Tue Jul 9 19:29:17 EDT 2002

I downloaded the new version of hcfpcimodem. Installation went
extraordinarily easy and modem worked ok after it.

The problem appeared after I had restarted my computer: the modem just
did´t work. The problem is same as in this earlier message:

--------------------------------

 > I donwloaded last drivers and i installed them as INSTALL file tells. The
 > installation is ok. After that, i restart my linux-box and i receive
 > following messages at start:
 >
 > PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 00:07.2
 > HCF ASIC ID: 215
 > 1001388.851: DEVMGR ERROR: DpReset: timed out waiting for checksum 1
 > 1001388.851: DEVMGR ERROR!!!! DpReset returns FALSE, attempt=0
 > 1001389.356: DEVMGR ERROR: DpReset: timed out waiting for checksum 1
 > 1001389.356: DEVMGR ERROR!!!! DpReset returns FALSE, attempt=1
 > 1001389.861: DEVMGR ERROR: DpReset: timed out waiting for checksum 1
 > 1001389.861: DEVMGR ERROR!!!! DpReset returns FALSE, attempt=2
 > 1001388.851: DEVMGR Fails DM_ActivateHardware
 > hcf_request_port: ComCtrlOpen failed, r=1!
 >
 > I thinked two things: or drivers (seen they are beta version) are corrupted
 > or there's a conflict of IRQ seen that a line before i read:
 >
 > PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00.0f.0
 >
 > What do you think about? what's the matter?

I experienced the same problem with my modem-ethernet combo card. Don't
know why is that but I got it working this way:
Login as root
First I unloaded ethernet card drivers (tulip) with 'network stop'
Next I installed hcflinmodem and ran hcfconfig
Then I put network back up again with 'network start'

After that the drivers have worked with no problems. I only had to do this
once when installing the driver.

I don't know why this does work and I don't know wheter it works on anyone
else's machine. Hope this helps even a bit.

Too bad, the workaround I explained there won't work anymore.

Could it be possible to obtain earlier versions of the driver? First
version after adding support for 14f1:1815 modem/lan combo worked fine.

And a bit info of my computer:
Compaq Presario 1702EA
Modem: 14f1:1815 lan/modem combo
Driver for the lan-part: tulip
Linux: SuSE 7.3, kernel version 2.4.10-4GB