[hcflinux] I *hate* modversions.h, but now it works!

Aydos João jucaaydos at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 13 07:38:24 EDT 2002

I did everything wrong in the begining:

1) I thought the header files in /usr/scr/include were the kernel sources.
(I know it sounds stupid) I pointed the link /lib/modules/version/build to
it and of course it would never work.
2) After coping the kernel source bz2-file I found on my Debian Woody
instalation CD and extracting it to /usr/src/linux and compiling it,
everything went smooth and easy with the modem installation.

3) Now I am using wvdial to connect to my ISP, but my box cannot resolve
hostnames. For instance if I try to

telnet  [IP address] it works,
telnet [hostname] it does not work.
Does anybody knows how can I solve this one?

After I recompiled the kernel, some weird stuff is happenning with my
keyboard, like the NumLock and CapsLock keys not working. I will try to
figure it out it later. My original installed kernel from the CD was the
2.4.18-bf2.4 and now with the new one the version which appears when I type
uname -r is only 2.4.18 and have now idea what is the difference between
both. I tryied to use that "make oldconfig" thing before making the
dependencies, but there were a lot of new options, I hope I chose the right
ones :-/. I need to read a bit more and recompile it later again.

Carlos