[hcflinux] Success using HCF modem under Mandrake 8.2

dave hay david_m_hay at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 3 10:01:03 EDT 2002

I was able to successfully use the
hcfpcimodem-0.97mbsibeta02070500k2.4.18_6mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm driver under
Mandrake 8.2 on an IBM 2284-70G NetVista PC.

The modem reports as: -

=                  RESULT OF MODEM QUERY                    =

MODEM #1:
  PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
     Vendor Id         : 14F1
     Device Id         : 1033
     Revision Id       : 08
     Sub Vendor Id     : 13E0
     Sub Device Id     : 0271

  DEDUCED INFORMATION:
     Vendor Name       : CONEXANT
     Device Name       : HCF P85 Data/Fax
     Modem Type        : HCF
     Download Site     : HCF MODEM driver download is currently not
available

using the listmodem shell script from
http://www.conexant.com/customer/files/listmodem_app_linux.txt

Post-installation, I simply deleted the symbolic link /dev/modem and
recreated it from /dev/ttySHCF0.

I was then able to use KPPP under KDE 3.0.2 to dial into my ISP etc.

Hope this helps someone.

Dave