[hcflinux] Problems with only one provider (t-online)

Markus Greither MGreither at t-online.de
Wed Aug 14 08:05:11 EDT 2002

Hi,

I installed the 0.97-release of the HCF-driver on my Mandrake 8.0
Linux, and it works using the german Freenet provider. But I actually
want to use the german t-online provider. But here I have a problem
(using kppp): I can dial in, the modem reports connection with
something around 41000-44000 bps (which is the same that I get when I
dial in from my Windows 98 system).

It also seems to log on correctly, but when I open a browser
(Konqueror, Mozilla), I just can't load any page (tried www.google.de,
www.t-online.de). The details view off the kppp shows only a very slow
data rate (just some bytes per minute) in both directions.

I noticed on my Windows 98, the connection seems to use STAC
compression for the t-online provider (not the freenet provider). Does
this make a difference ? Does STAC compression work on Linux ?

Best regards
Markus Greither