[hcflinux] Newby "trying" to install HCF modem

tom tomshortall at eircom.net
Thu Aug 29 02:03:22 EDT 2002

darragh,

glad things are moving along

I advise you to send a copy of your wvdial.conf to the mailing list (remembering to replace your password with sth harmless.
Also try rereading the man page for wvdial. Maybe you need to specify the path to pppd, maybe you need to tell wvdial what the prompt is.
Maybe you need the line New PPPD after the password line.

On rereading your mail:
how do you mean "get as far as getting an IP address"?
how do you know you have been assigned an IP address? wvdial does not deal with this kind of stuff - that is for pppd. You can tell if there is a pppd running by typing 'ps ax | less'

And what log are you using. I have never really looked into why but on my system pppd logging is only intermittent - are you using 'plog' command?

Tom