[hcflinux] Continued "No Carrier"/"No Dialtone" problems with latest: A discussion

Sunil William Savkar savkar at inthespace.com
Thu Aug 29 16:48:12 EDT 2002

Hi.

Although I do not appear to have problems when using minicom or direct
communication programs to dial out, when using hylafax I get very strange
behavior on the mode.

(1)  Hylafax sets things up (a-ok so far);
(2)  ATDT command is sent.  About 80% of the time the following will happen:
     (a) hear the dial tone (I have the modem set to be audible).
     (b) dial string is completed, but the dial tone continues and there
is no indication that there has been transmission.
     (c) eventually there is a timeout and I get a no dialtone or no
carrier error.

It is all very strange because it is completely intermittent.

Simply setting the X3 parameter does not help, and frankly causes even
more problems.  Again, this problem does not occur during direct use for
dialing outside of faxing.

Any ideas?  Anything that I am not properly setting in the init strings
for fax?

Sunil