[hcflinux] My AOpen FM56-P HCF PCI modem does not go off-hook

Karl Scheel karl.scheel at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 16 01:01:43 EDT 2002

I am running Mandrake Linux 8.2 Release 2.4.18-6mdk. My AOpen HCF modem
is based on the Conexant RLVDL56DPF/SP chipset, and Windows 98 sees it
as being connected to COM1 (i.e. ttyS0 in Linux lingo). The built-in
COM1 port on my motherboard has been disabled through the CMOS Setup
Program so that it does not conflict with this modem. The output of the
"cat /proc/pci" command indicates that the modem is connected to port
address 0xE4810000 and uses IRQ 4.

I downloaded and installed the rpm that was compiled for this release
(i.e. hcfpcimodem-0.98mbsibeta02090200k2.4.18_6mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm).
Although I can now query my modem from within kppp (i.e. after changing
the softlink /dev/modem to point to /dev/ttySHCF0 instead of ttyS1), the
modem doesn't go off-hook, and therefore, does not dial out to my ISP.
However, I can hear kppp communicating with my modem whenever I query it
or try to dial out, although there is no dialtone and no DTMF signals
are generated. And I have a telephone connected to this modem with a
line-in-use indicator that stays off as proof that my modem doesn't go
off-hook whenever I try to dial out, although the kppp log window
indicates that the number is being dialed by kppp via the "ATDT" command.

I have determined that it is definitely not a problem within kppp,
because kppp works very reliably with my external modem connected to
ttyS1. And it is neither a problem with the modem itself, nor the
cabling connected to it because it still works fine within Windows.

It appears to me that there is a bug within the driver file that is
responsible for taking the modem off-hook and dialing the number; either
the driver is not recognizing the ATDT command, or it is somehow
incapable of generating the off-hook condition and DTMF signals that are
necessary when dialing out.

I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Linux driver, but ended-up with
the same result.

If someone could help me with this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Karl