[hcflinux] HCF drivers and chat problems (solved)

Aragorn aragorn at spinningkids.org
Sun Sep 22 13:51:21 EDT 2002

  For  the record,  I would  like to  describe a  little problem  I came
across when setting up PPP with the  HCF driver and how I solved it. The
symptom was the modem correctly working with minicom (I tried to dial in
my ISP and  got a login prompt),  but not with chat  (you know ``chat'',
the program which  pppd usually uses to talk with  the modem, initialize
it and do the dialing). chat was complaining about:

IceWind chat[767]: Can't get terminal parameters: Inappropriate ioctl for device

  The ppp  package installed  on my machine  (chat is a  part of  it) is
ppp-2.4.0-2 . I grabbed the latest  sources (ppp-2.4.1 , look them up on
freshmeat), recompiled chat solely, renamed  it and put under /etc/ppp .
Then I  modified my  PPP dial-up  scripts to use  the latter  version of
chat. That  together did solve  any issue, why  I don't know  (I firstly
downloaded chat's source to debug  the ioctls, but it wasn't necessary),
maybe because it uses TERMIOS rather than TERMIO?

  Anyway, I  wrote down this  should someone  find himself in  a similar
scenario.
  Now the HCF modem works perfectly  well, even better than the low-cost
external one I bought in its substitution. Great work Marc!

--
Aragorn