[hcflinux] generic vs specific

Angus Auld angusauld at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 13 13:11:30 EDT 2002

Greetings hcf users, et al,

I am wondering, what is the advantage of using the arch. specific
hcfpcimodem driver as compared to the generic flavor? I am presently using
the generic 0.98mbsibeta02090200-1mdk.i386.rpm, and it is performing very
well indeed. Better in fact than any previous arch. specific rpm that I used
in my 2.4.18 kernels in Mdk 8.2. (I'm using Mdk 9.0 now...2.4.19-16 kernel)
I rarely if ever get random disconnects, and have remained connected for
several hours at a time.
Under 8.2 I would get random disconnects for no apparent reason.....the
modem would just hangup, error 16.

I would really like to know what is the best way to go, so when I upgrade to
the latest version I can choose either specific or generic. Previously I had
only been using the specific rpms for the 2.4.18 kernels in Mdk 8.2. The
lack of specific for Mdk 9.0 when I first installed led me to try the
generic, and I have been impressed with the performance! Is the compiled
generic version able to work better with my Mdk OS?

Many TIA's for any feedback.

--Angus

"LET US NOT LOOK BACK IN ANGER OR FORWARD IN FEAR, BUT AROUND IN
AWARENESS."----James Thurber