[hcflinux] No dialtone or DTMF signals heard not matter what I do

Angus Auld angusauld at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 18 09:32:20 EDT 2002

Hi Karl, while I am not of the expertise to offer a solution to your problem
with the generic modem driver, I can vouch for the fact that my installation
of the generic driver (compiled from .src.rpm) on my Mandrake 9.0 system
does transmit dialtone and handshake sounds normally.

I hope you find a solution to your situation.

All the best. :-)

--Angus

"LET US NOT LOOK BACK IN ANGER OR FORWARD IN FEAR, BUT AROUND IN
AWARENESS."----James Thurber

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++Reg.Linux User#278931+++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

<<<snip>>>
Perhaps there is an error in the driver; it is probably supposed to do
something that affects the volume after receiving an Lx command, but
doesn't. Is it not true that an HCF driver is supposed to emulate an absent
controller? Is it not also true that it is the controller within a true
hardware modem that sets the speaker volume upon receiving and Lx command?
It is definitely not a problem with the modem itself because I still hear
the Call Progression Tones at their normal volumes from within Windows.

Although it is not a serious problem, it would be nice to have this fixed in
order to prove to the world that HCF modems can be made to function as well
from within Linux as they do from within Windows.

Thanks for helping to dispel the myth to Windows users that Linux is
inferior.

Salut!,

Karl