[hcflinux] hcfpciosspec.o will taint the kernel

Angus Auld angusauld at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 18 10:02:07 EDT 2002

Hi Justin, "urpmi" in Mdk 9.0 apparently now does a check to verify gpg
signatures before installing anything. I didn't have any problem with the
HCF modem driver, but I get bad signature warnings sometime when installing
non-Mandrake packages. As far as I can determine, one should be safe with
packages from a reputable source. I never experienced these warnings w/Mdk
8.2, so it is an added feature of "urpmi" in Mdk 9.0 it would seem.

The "tainted kernel" may refer to a non-Mdk gpg sig. module install?

Also, sometimes you have to manually create the /dev/modem link to
/dev/ttySHCF0 with the command: ln -s /dev/ttySHCFO /dev/modem

You may have to delete a bogus /dev/modem link first if one exists. I have
encountered this on some of my installs.

Hope this may help some. All the best to you! :-)

--Angus

"LET US NOT LOOK BACK IN ANGER OR FORWARD IN FEAR, BUT AROUND IN
AWARENESS."----James Thurber

+++Reg.Linux User#278931+++