[hcflinux] it's working somehow now

rhp405 at suomi24.fi rhp405 at suomi24.fi
Mon Nov 4 11:10:34 EST 2002

Hi,
I finally got our Conexant HCF PCI modem to work. I first tried it with Vector
Linux 2.5 with source tar package, but with no success. Since I did not have
enough patience to fiddle with kernel compilations and module things (and
for other reasons too) I switched to IT Linux 2001, which is Red Hat 7.0
based Finnish Linux distribution, for which there was a precompiled rpm package.
I can now use modem with kppp, KDE ppp front-end. Several things I did:
* make pppd work *really* (together with kppp):
    - add /dev/modem and connection speed to /etc/ppp/options
    - turn the lock off from kppp and put it only to /etc/ppp/options file

The hardware setup of the modem was quite weird. When I installed the modem
to the pci slot and turned the computer on, it complained about a hardware
conflict. Then I took the modem away, and put it back right away, and next
time I turned it on it didn't complain anything. I don't have a slightest
clue what was that.

I also had problems with missing carrier tone. The modem dialed and greeted
the other end but didn't get carrier tone. I tried ATX3 like it was advised
in the FAQ but it didn't help. I'm not sure how that got fixed, maybe it
was so that pppd had to work first.

One thing was also that I used an ISA modem on troubleshooting the system,
like getting the pppd work.

Unfortunately Wvdial doesn't seem to work currently. I don't know why but
I'm happy at least kppp works all right.

There are modem hangups occasionally, though. That was problem also when
there was Windows 95 installed originally.
:) Originally, that was the first reason why I started installing Linux.
I was totally fed up of those occasional hangups on which the whole system
locked up and it had to be switched off. Scandisk didn't work, so that the
file system suffered more and more. Then I decided to wipe the hard disk
all clean and reinstall Windows. But then it appeared that the OEM code was
lost, so I thought that's it and searched a suitable Linux distribution and
installed it.

So far, so good.

:) bye.