[hcflinux] 127A/1005 Connection problems

Howard & Shona hseban at tpg.com.au
Thu Nov 14 20:45:27 EST 2002

Hi all,
I have been trying to make the jump to Linux for some time now, but my main stumbling block being my HCF modem.

It is recognized as a Vendor ID: 127A  Device ID: 1005   Sub Vendor ID: 122D    Sub Device ID: 4008

I'm running Mandrake 9 and have loaded the latest rpm for this distro.

Using Kppp (and Gppp) it would seem to be able to recogize the modem (Modem device:  /dev/modem)
When the flow control is set to 'Xon/off'  or 'None' and when I use the ATI query it recognises the modem, but brings back the dialog box with blank values against all the ATI values.

If I try to connect with any combination of the avilable settings the best I get is a message of "Modem ready" no dial tone or squawks. After waiting a minute or more I kill it.

I know that in windows I had to turn off the 'Wait for dial tone' button, however that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any Ideas / help please.

Thanks
Howard Eban