[hcflinux] disappearing character devices??

Angus Auld angusauld at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 14 08:29:58 EST 2002

Greetings,
I have been using the mbsi drivers w/Mandrake for some time now. First
w/8.2, and now w/9.0. I am currently using the latest version
(0.98mbsibeta02110301-1.src.rpm), which I have compiled on my system. I am
having good results with this, but I noticed something curious. When I boot
up my computer, the character devices /dev/ttySHCFO and /dev/cuaHCFO along
with the character device link /dev/modem, are not to be found. After I
bring up kppp and establish a connection, they are all to be found in place
as normal. The only thing I notice is a tiny delay in the reaction time when
I click connect in kppp for the first connection. I suppose this is because
the phantom devices are being created. Subsequent connections are
instantaneous. This scenario repeats on the next boot-up.

Can anyone explain this behaviour, and is there a way to keep the character
devices and link in place??
TIA for any feedback on this. All the best.

--Angus

"LET US NOT LOOK BACK IN ANGER OR FORWARD IN FEAR, BUT AROUND IN
AWARENESS."----James Thurber

+++Reg.Linux User#278931+++