[hcflinux] Periodic hangups with hcfpcimodem 0.98beta but not with hcflinmodem 0.93beta

Jon Foster devjonfos at netscape.net
Mon Nov 25 19:11:23 EST 2002

Hi All,

Just my 2 cents ...

I started using Marc's driver with
hcflinmodem-0.93mbsibeta02060200-1.src.rpm.  I have tried several times
to use a newer version, but I get periodic hangups.  When I go back to
0.93mbsibeta, the problem goes away.  We're talking several redials per
day (some within 5-10 minutes from machine reboot) to being able to stay
connected for 24 hours with the old driver.  The 24 hour limit is my
ISP's limit (earthlink).

I am using RedHat 7.3 and I have experienced this phenomenon with
kernels 2.4.18-3, 2.4.18-10, and 2.4.18-18.7.x (latest from rhn).  My
internal modem is Rockwell International HCF 56k Data/Fax, vendor_id =
127A, device_id = 1003, sub_vendor_id = 0E11, sub_device_id = B0BC.  I'm
using wvdial as my PPP dialer.

I know some of you have had similar problems, so add my name to the
list.  I'm wondering if any of you have had any success with older
versions like I have.

The last version I tried was hcfpcimodem-0.98mbsibeta02110301-1.src.rpm.
 And, yes, I followed the instructions and uninstalled by doing an rpm
-e hcflinmodem before installing the hcfpcimodem.

I've been using source rpm's to eliminate any other possible problems,
especially the "RedHat's GCC 2.96 versus the rest of the world problem".

Your thoughts, please.

Sincerely,

Jon Foster
devjonfos at netscape.net