[hcflinux] Potential (well actual) security problem in hcf drivers and iptables RH7.3/RH8.0

Ed . epo001 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 26 09:45:10 EST 2002

Hi everyone,

I upgraded to rh8.0 from 7.3 last week and was apalled to discover that I
have been running without firewall protection ever I first installed the hcf
driver on my machine.

What happens is this, you install linux and using the redhat installer set
network security for all recognised network devices (which doesn't yet
include the winmodem). Then you install the hcf driver and my case don't
even think of updating the ipchains or iptables rules, result wide open.

Now obviously I was being a bit stupid but I think the install/deinstall
process should flag the necessity of reviewing network security.

Now a RH8.0 question, if I try and redefine network security after
installing the driver from a tar file I don't get /dev/modem as an option or
as a device in the /etc/sysconfig/iptables script. What's the best way to
add in ruiles covering ppp? which will survive updates and co-exist with the
existing initialisation process.

Ed