[hcflinux] Periodic hangups with hcfpcimodem 0.98beta but not with hcflinmod

Angus Auld angusauld at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 26 08:42:04 EST 2002

----Original Message Follows----
From: Jon Foster <devjonfos at netscape.net>
To: hcflinux at lists.mbsi.ca
Subject: [hcflinux] Periodic hangups with hcfpcimodem 0.98beta but not with
hcflinmodem 0.93beta
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:11:23 -0800

Hi All,

Just my 2 cents ...

I started using Marc's driver with
hcflinmodem-0.93mbsibeta02060200-1.src.rpm.  I have tried several times to
use a newer version, but I get periodic hangups.  When I go back to
0.93mbsibeta, the problem goes away.  We're talking several redials per day
(some within 5-10 minutes from machine reboot) to being able to stay
connected for 24 hours with the old driver.  The 24 hour limit is my ISP's
limit (earthlink).

I am using RedHat 7.3 and I have experienced this phenomenon with kernels
2.4.18-3, 2.4.18-10, and 2.4.18-18.7.x (latest from rhn).  My internal modem
is Rockwell International HCF 56k Data/Fax, vendor_id = 127A, device_id =
1003, sub_vendor_id = 0E11, sub_device_id = B0BC.  I'm using wvdial as my
PPP dialer.

I know some of you have had similar problems, so add my name to the list.
I'm wondering if any of you have had any success with older versions like I
have.

The last version I tried was hcfpcimodem-0.98mbsibeta02110301-1.src.rpm.
And, yes, I followed the instructions and uninstalled by doing an rpm -e
hcflinmodem before installing the hcfpcimodem.

I've been using source rpm's to eliminate any other possible problems,
especially the "RedHat's GCC 2.96 versus the rest of the world problem".

Your thoughts, please.

Sincerely,

Jon Foster
devjonfos at netscape.net

Hi Jon, I too experience the occasional hangup. Quite infrequently with the
latest driver (0.98mbsibeta02110301-1.i586.rpm), which I compiled from
source. I have had this occur with kernel 2.4.18-6 & 2.4.18-8.1 in Mdk 8.2
and now kernel 2.4.19-16 in Mdk 9.0.
I have had the hangups occur less often as the drivers were refined through
the various versions ( I began with the 0.92). I wasn't compiling the
earlier versions from source though, and was using the pre-complied rpm, so
I would have likely had better results compiling. I am new to Linux, and the
concept of "compiling" anything was at first unfamiliar ( and a little
frightening? lol).

I find however that I do get better performance and fewer hangups with the
src rpm as opposed to pre-compiled. I am usually able to stay connected for
several hours at a time w/o difficulty. The driver is performing quite well
indeed, and while the occasional hangup is an inconvenience, it is one that
I am able to live with. I do get hangups once in a while with the same modem
under WinME, so I'm not sure that the problem isn't, at least in part, due
to line interference or some other external anomaly.

I am thankful to able to use my "winmodem become linmodem" on my Mdk-Linux
system. It has saved me money and hassle, and I compliment Marc for his
excellent work on these drivers. It has been pointed out to me that optimum
performance can be achieved with a hardware, or "real" modem. Perhaps I will
get one at some point. But, for the time being, my linmodem does the trick!

These are my observations and experience..........

--Angus

"LET US NOT LOOK BACK IN ANGER OR FORWARD IN FEAR, BUT AROUND IN
AWARENESS."----James Thurber

+++Reg.Linux User#278931+++