[hcflinux] Install Problem

Stephen H. Dawson shdawson at gte.net
Mon Jan 27 10:23:12 EST 2003

Hey,

Well, tried your driver today to get my modem running.  I have a SONY
laptop.  It has a Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax RTAD PCI modem in it.

I have never done an RPM before, but I did print out and read the
instructions.  I have RH 8 installed, with and i686 and kernel 2.4.18-14.  I
downloaded hcfpcimodem-0.99mbsibeta02123100k2.4.18_14-1rh.i686.rpm

I went to command line and copied the RPM from the windows partition to the
folder that my command window was set to.  I ran the syntax:
hcfpcimodem-0.99mbsibeta02123100k2.4.18_14-1rh.i686.rpm

This was running and a window popped up saying that the RPM is ready to
install.  The command line never returned anything.  I closed the window in
cringe.  I right clicked on the RPM and ran OPEN.  It says it was already
installed.

I tried to configure a new internet connection.  I could not find the modem.
I then ran the following:
[root at localhost root]# rpm -e hcfpcimodem
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.8493: line 2: /usr/sbin/hcfpciconfig: No such file or
directoryerror: %preun(hcfpcimodem-0.99mbsibeta02123100k2.4.18_14-1rh)
scriptlet failed,
exit status 127
[root at localhost root]#

So, I cannot uninstall this, and when I try to run the RPM again, it says it
is already installed.  What do I do at this point?  I did a find for hcf*
from / and it it came back only with the RPM file

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Stephen H. Dawson