[hcflinux] ADSL PCI Modem Trouble

c0rn c0rn at Winchat.Net
Wed Feb 19 22:18:50 EST 2003

I've been trying to get my adsl pci modem to work with redhat 8.0 now for some time with no success. I havent found any drivers from the manufacturer but since the modem has Conexant chips on it and is detected by 'lspci' as a Conexant device i tried the HSF and HCF drivers on the website. The HSF drivers said the modem looks like a HCF modem, so i tried those but with no sucess.

Here's the main problem:

I'm having trouble installing and running 'hcfpciconfig' for some reason. Using the rpm to install, installs fine but running the config utility hangs after showing the intro. It doesnt lock up the computer, but it just sits there doing nothing - rarely does it actually ask any questions about configuration, that only happens after a fresh linux installation and only the first time install of the software. When i try to rpm -e the package it doesnt respond either. The same applies to the tar.gz when i compile it. However, during a 'make install' I get an error with KERNELSRC not pointing to the right place even though im sure i have the source installed and headers where they should be. I'm not sure what im doing wrong, is there an extra package or library i need to get this working?

Here's the information i found out so far about the modem:
(from lspci and /proc/pci)
Vendor ID: 14F1
Device ID: 1611(PCI Arbitration device) and 1610(ATM network Controller)

the original Manufacturer is supposedly: Taicom - no drivers posted on their website(for a MC8000P)
the two chipsets have P4601-11 and Falcon 2P 11627-31 on them.

Im mainly looking forward to configuring it for PPPoA because thats what my ISP supports.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.