[hcflinux] Intensive Disk Usage Causes Modem to Disconnect

BlueJAMC bluejamc at netzero.net
Sat Feb 22 20:58:14 EST 2003

I'm running Debian 3.0, (kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4), and I'm using the drivers included with

hcfpcimodem-0.99mbsibeta02123100.tar.gz

for modem 14F1:1036 which came with my Gateway.

For some reason, whenever disk usage becomes very intensive (for example, copying files from one partition to another, formatting a partition, copying files from a CD, burning a CD, etc), the modem will disconnect.  It's like clockwork, and consistent across multiple fresh installs of Debian.  I've used pre-compiled binaries for Mandrake 9.0 which didn't seem to have this problem (although, admittedly, I wasn't doing as much with Mandrake as I was with Debian, so might not have experienced the behavior).  I also used the binary that came included with Xandros (a derivative of Debian) while on Xandros, and it worked fine.  So I guess the question I have is whether this is a known issue with Debian, or that specific modem, or what, and if it is, if there's a way to remedy it.  The problem with the modem gets very frustrating, and is the one thing making me consider going back to Windows.

Josh