[hcflinux] Peculiar behaviour using hcfpci

Nicholas Robinson npr at bottlehall.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Feb 28 21:21:09 EST 2003

Hello,

I've been using hcflinux for about three months since I inadvertently bought
the wrong sort of modem - a Hayes Accura V92 internal.

I bought it to upgrade from my old 28k modem, which although slow almost nver
dropped a connection in nearly five years.

The new modem won't give me a reliable connection at more than 32k - it
connects at upto 40k but very frequently renegotiates (I think) and this
blocks transmission for about 30 seconds at a time. Limiting the connection
to 32k seems to give a slightly more reliable connection.

I still get pauses in transmission particularly during downloads via ftp as
well as general surfing. My usual response was to 'ping' a well-known host
and see what happened. It would usually get a response about seven seconds
later and it would then speed up. The curious bit is that my other
transmissions would re-start immediately, often before the ping started
coming back.

I've found that I get much better performance if I leave a ping going
continually.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so is there a better solution? Is it
possible that there is something going wrong in hcflinux?

Regards

Nick