[hcflinux] Xandros distro

BlueJAMC bluejamc at netzero.net
Fri Feb 28 22:24:31 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:36:10 -0600
"Bobby Clark" <bcandkc at bsf.net> wrote:

> I am a new linux user and have installed the Xandros distro 1.0.  It
> seemed to identify my conexant modem (HCF), but it would not dial out.
>  Do you
> think installing the drivers would help?  If so, would one of the
> distro files work with Xandros, it is Debian based.  Whatever that
> means!  Your info says they are the easiest to install, which is what
> is needed here!!!!!

The problem that I had with Xandros was that the modem was detected
correctly, and the drivers properly installed, but for whatever reason
their dialer didn't work.

The solution I used was downloading and installing the kppp package
distributed by Debian (Xandros is based on Debian, and both use the same
packaging system).  You can download it at

http://packages.debian.org/stable/net/kppp.html

Once you have it downloaded, you can install it by opening up a terminal
and (as root) executing the following command:

dpkg -i kppp_2.2.2-14_i386.deb

(Depending on where you saved the file to, you may need to switch to
that directory first.)

Once you've done that, you can simply start up kppp (it should be in the
KDE menu), fill in the appropriate values for your connection, and
you'll be on your way.

Hope that helps to answer your question.

BlueJAMC