[hcflinux] Timeout problem

Bertrik Sikken bertrik at zonnet.nl
Sun Mar 2 11:06:49 EST 2003

Danilo Massa wrote:

>I have a problem using the hcfpci modem... the modem seems anwer to all
>my queries but when I try to dial a number I got a timeout error.
>
>The transcrispt that follow can describe it:
>
>root at www /root]# wvdial TEST
>--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
>--> Initializing modem.
>--> Sending: ATZ
>ATZ
>OK
>--> Sending: ATX3
>ATX3
>OK
>--> Modem initialized.
>--> Sending: ATDP3397395621
>--> Waiting for carrier.
>ATDP3397395621
>--> Timed out while dialing.  Trying again.
>(I have made a test with ATDT too with the same result)
>... Also I am not able to hear any dialing sound (yes I have used the
>L1M1 command )...

I'm not really a modem expert, but the order of commands and
Does the timeout occur immediately?

Instead of

--> Sending: ATDP3397395621
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDP3397395621

I would expect

--> Sending: ATDP3397395621
ATDP3397395621
--> Waiting for carrier.
(and then CONNECT <speed>)

So it seems the dialer does not wait for the echo of the ATD
command before starting to wait for the carrier.

ATX does something with the verbosity of the modem, right?
Perhaps it works if you can leave the ATX3 command out.
Or maybe try another dial program.
Does it work if you talk to the modem immediately?

Kind regards,
Bertrik Sikken