[hcflinux] LFS 4.0

Sebastien Fievet sebastien.fievet at free.fr
Tue Mar 4 22:43:16 EST 2003

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 23:24:48 -0800
David Hutchinson <bowman at lanset.com> wrote:

> Running a system I made following the Linux from Scratch guide, v4.0,
> with kernel 2.4.19 and gcc 3.2 on an Athlon system
>
> Once I unpack the hcfpci source package from the website, I do make
> install. It copies all the stuff to /usr/lib/hcfpci/ and tells me to run
> hcfpciconfig.
>
> When I do, it craps out, tells me to read /tmp/blah.log (blah.log being
> whatever logfile it tells me to read. Don't remember off hand). When I
> do, it says I need to change the CC option in the common.mak. When I
> change it, then run hcfpciconfig, it says it successfully completed the
> build of the driver, but it hangs. There are also two process that seem
> to be doing nothing. One is a sed process, the other is grep. They
> disappear when I kill hcfpciconfig.
>
> Well, the modules are there, but since hcfpciconfig hangs and won't
> install them (like it successfully does when I tried to install them
> under RedHat 7.1), so I try to install them by hand.
>
> I figured out the order they install (no brainer. They won't install
> unless what they require is installed), but each gives unresolved symbol
> errors, and the third module (hcfpciserial.o) segfaults when I install it.
>
> Any ideas?

   Hi,

   Since hcfpciconfig doesnt't exit successfully, i think the System.map and
modules.dep files are not correctly updated, causing the module loader failure.
   The point is to find out what hcfpconfig looks for, and that it doesn't find
on your LFS system. I had the same problem because my kernel sources where in
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20 instead of the usual /usr/src/linux.
   I am also running a LFS system(2.4.4), and my modem works fine. It was just
a little harder than with a standard distro.

Regards, Sebastien.