[hcflinux] LFS 4.0

scytale at eircom.net scytale at eircom.net
Wed Mar 5 21:48:37 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:24:48PM -0800, David Hutchinson wrote:
> Running a system I made following the Linux from Scratch guide, v4.0,
> with kernel 2.4.19 and gcc 3.2 on an Athlon system
>
> I need to change the CC option in the common.mak. When I
> change it, then run hcfpciconfig, it says it successfully completed the
> build of the driver, but it hangs. There are also two process that seem
> to be doing nothing. One is a sed process, the other is grep. They
> disappear when I kill hcfpciconfig.
>
>but each gives unresolved symbol
> errors, and the third module (hcfpciserial.o) segfaults when I install it.

strangely enough I had something similar yesterday
I had updated to debian woody and when I tried to install hcfpci0.99 the
hcfpciconfig failed in the same way.
in my case I had to change the cc variable because the gcc version as
reported by gcc itself did not match the version as reported in
/proc/version.
(or that's what I think after a quick look through the various makefiles
and shell scripts in /usr/lib/hcfpci/modules)
so I edited common.mak to change the CC variable to cc
In my case this worked handsomly as it simply fired up the 2.95.4 gcc

In your case, just as an uninformed guess, I would suspect perhaps
possible incompatibilities with the 3.x gcc.

Try installing a version 2 gcc in parallel with the 3.x
This happens by default, or very easily, in most current distros. However
doing it from scratch might be challenging, to put it mildly.

as a side note, I installed the 0.98 hcfpci stuff in an older version of
lfs (gcc 2.95.3), no problem.
If i get a chance I will try to install the 0.99 there and let you know
if there is any trouble - may indicate if the problem is indeed gcc
related or is to do with something else.

I see some other suggestions have already been mailed to the list
let us know which one solved your problem