[hcflinux] Downloading Conexant driver

Karl Scheel karl.scheel at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 20 21:41:46 EST 2003

I have something to add to Angus' reply:

In order for Mandrake to see your Win98 partition, you must specify it as
a mount point (i.e., /any_name_you_choose). This step is not performed
automatically when you install Mandrake or any other Linux distro; for
security reasons, you must perform this step manually using a Linux
partitioning utility, such as the Linux version of fdisk (i.e., during
installation), DiskDruid (i.e., during installation), or following
Mandrake installation using Mandrake Control Center while logged-in as
root using the graphical environment of your choice (e.g., KDE or GNOME),
provided that you have the utility installed that allows the graphical
Mandrake Control Center to do this.

However, if you are going make your Win98 partition visible to Mandrake,
it is highly recommended that you also install one of the free firewall
programs that are included to guard against intrusions into
your Windows partition from within Mandrake, as the Windows partition
would then be world-readable and world-writeable with no way to change the
read/write permissions (although you could give your Windows partition a
name that is hard for an outsider to guess).

Having said this, however, it would be a major convenience for you to be
able to read from and write to your Win98 partition using Linux. On one
occasion, I was able to download the latest Windows version of Netscape
from my ISP's Web site using Linux; I had to do it this way because I
couldn't access my ISP's Web site from within Windows because the version
of Netscape that I was using at the time was suddenly rendered obsolete
due to a change in the programming of the site. However, using my Linux
version of Netscape, I was able to download it to the location:
/mnt/my_windows_mount_point/Windows/Desktop. When I rebooted back into
Windows, the program's installation icon magically appeared on my Win98
desktop as if I had downloaded it using Windows!

Cheers!

Karl