[hcflinux] problem with new hcf driver

George Bell gbell5 at cox.net
Fri Apr 18 14:21:34 EDT 2003

Angus Auld wrote:

> Greetings, I just upgraded to mdk 9.1 from 9.0. I had been using the
> 0.99mbsibeta02123100-1.i586.rpm (compiled from source), and it seemed
> to be working great. However, when the latest
> 0.99lnxtbeta03041600-1.src.rpm package became available, I immediately
> got it compiled and installed on my system.
> Now, I am having a serious problem occasionally where the modem dials
> up and handshakes for a very long time, and never does connect. It
> will not release the modem either, even if I log out of X and back in.
> I have to reboot my machine to have the modem release!

That should not be necessary. Start minicom or some other communications
program and tell the modem to hangup:  ATH or ATH0

> Anyone else experience this? Any possible solutions?

Offhand, it sounds like the modem refuses to negotiate to lower baud
rates.  That would explain why it works sometimes, and why when it
doesn't its stuck negotiating with the other modem for a baud that can't
be reached...  This process is controlled by the driver itself, as far
as I know.  Maybe the package has to be compiled with other options...
Perhaps  there anything in the documentation that came with the source
code?

I am going to try the pre-compiled version of the new driver, and if
that does the same, I will go back to the old version I began with.