[hcflinux] can't find /dev/ttySHCF0 after installation with MDK9.0

Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org
Mon Apr 21 22:52:48 EDT 2003

luca amendola wrote:
> Dear all
>
> after installing the latest HCF driver with the binary package on my
MDK 9.0
> (kernel 2.4.19-16)
> with no errors it says that the modem is reachable at /dev/ttySHCF0
but this
> file does not exist...

Yep, this is possible.  You'll have to create it.  It's a Character
device, Major 240, Minor 64 (well, in my case it is - someone please
check this).  In this case, use the command:

[root at localhost ~]# mknod /dev/ttySHCF0 c 240 64
(You should do this as the 'root' user - as indicated by the prompt above)

> ...and /dev/modem links to a directory /dev/tts ...!?

Usually something line /dev/ttyS[x] where x is:
	0 for COM1
	1 for COM2
	2 for COM3
	...etc...

> Then KPPP says Modem ready, and then it stops at "initializing modem...".

Yep, probably because it's looking for a _hardware_ modem on whatever
serial device you've pointed it to.  I'll bet it'll time out after 30
seconds or so too.

> I saw a previous post somebody linked manually /dev/modem to /dev/<device>
> but which is the correct <device> in  my case?

Yep, ttySHCF0 is the device to use here.  Use the following commands (as
root):

[root at localhost ~]# rm -f /dev/modem
[root at localhost ~]# ln -s /dev/ttySHCF0 /dev/modem

> Thanks for any help
Not a problem ;-)

- --
| Stuart Longland           stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Brisbane Mesh Node: 719             http://stuartl.cjb.net/ |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
| Griffith Student No:           Course: Bachelor/IT @ Nathan |