[hcflinux] S10

Geoff Lane geoff at 3lanes.freeserve.co.uk
Sun May 4 10:55:41 EDT 2003

I've been having problems with dropped carriers when using my modem via
Linux Mandrake V9 but it has been fine with Windows98

Someone suggested I alter the default within S10 from 14/10ths of a second
to a higher value or indefinite at 255

S10 apparently sets the time that the modem will wait when it appears to
have lost a connection before it disconnects.

It appears to have solved the problem, what I would like to ask is what is
the advantage of having a low 'wait' time rather than a higher time.

Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club
www.whcc.co.uk