[hcflinux] no modem was found on your system

George Bell gbell5 at cox.net
Wed May 14 11:30:05 EDT 2003

patrick reen wrote:

> Reinstalled operating system - rh8 - installed driver - configured it
> - got message " your hcf modem should now be acessible as
> /dev/ttySHCF0 or through the symbolic link /dev/modem [my modem is
> 14F1-1036] Went to Internet connection wizard [gnome desktop] chose
> "modem" wizard says "no modem found on your system"- when I continue
> with wizard and enter isp info and try to activate modem I get message
> "activating network device ppo please wait" - it never activates - if
> I open mozilla it immediately says couldn't connect. - Two weeks of
> trying everything - no luck- I would really like to get this solved.

I would try the following steps.  Forget about the gnome desktop wizard
for the moment ( although there may be a way to solve this problem
through the gnome desktop, I don't know it).   First from the command
line, invoke setserial -g /dev/ttySHCF0.  You should see a port number
and interrupt assigned to the device.  If that's ok then open a
communications program such as minicom, and enter a dial command and
dial your own number or something just to establish that you have a
working modem.  Also, you can check that the drivers for the hcf modem
are loaded by command lsmod or lsmod -v.  Look for anything with the
"hcf" in it to confirm it's there.  I don't know about Redhat, but in
Suse the drivers are loaded whenever the serial port is first accessed.
 If all that seems in order, then go back to your gnome desktop and try
the Internet conncetion wizard again.  Also look for a modem
configuration utility in Gnome.  Maybe all you need to do is tell it to
use /dev/ttySHCF0.
HTH,

George