[hcflinux] suggestions

George Bell gbell5 at cox.net
Wed May 14 17:37:48 EDT 2003

Jean-Simon Durand wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to point out that you should not use setserial to configure a
>software modem.
>
>This is an excerp from the HCF drivers FAQ:
>
>---
>Changing serial port parameters with "setserial" on ttySHCF0 or /dev/modem
>doesn't work.
>
>Since this modem driver provides a virtual serial interface, which is not
>directly connected to a physical UART like a normal serial port, it is not
>possible and would not make sense to configure it with "setserial".
>Therefore you shouldn't use this command on the ports associated with this
>driver. The irq and other parameters shown by "setserial" are bogus values
>which have no meaning.
>---

Ooops, o.k.   But I know it does work on some types of modem cards.  It
is a virtual serial port.  I wonder is this related to the fact that
only one hcf modem can be installed at time?  Still one should find
information about the modem on /proc/pci or in a distribution's hardware
information utilities.  It should show up there or there's something
wrong.