[hcflinux] no modem found part 6175

George Bell gbell5 at cox.net
Fri May 16 13:37:25 EDT 2003

patrick reen wrote:

> "more /proc/pci" gave me list of bus and hub devices but no modem
> listed - opened minicom got screen "initializing modem" then  screen
> with some text and at s7=45 so=0 li vi x4 & c1 e1 qo - [?] when I
> configured modem it  gave me 14F1   1036  [thats on this sites list of
> hcf modems that driver works for] so it at some opoint must be seeing
> modem - tried /var/log/boot.msg   and more /var/log/boot.msg commands
> but they didn't take - when I use Knoppix o s on cd and query modem
> through ppp I get message "modem busy     at least I'm getting typing
> practice!

What happens if you dial a number in minicom?  Some things you can try
in minicom and some typical responses:

AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0

OK
AT+FCLASS=?
0,1,8                    # 0 means has data cabability, 1 - fax
capability, 8 - voice capability

ATD1234567899(your isp number)
RING
ATD<your own number>
BUSY

etc....

I don't know why you get a modem busy in KNoppix.  I guess you need to
look into the manual for ppp for that.

George