[hcflinux] Help! Aopen FM56-PM modem will dial but won't connect

Olly Tabooger elektricar at ausi.com
Tue May 27 07:45:13 EDT 2003

I have a FM56-PM pci winmodem and I successfully installed the driver. I ran
hcfpciconfig and it successfully identified my modem with vendor ID 14F1 and
device ID 1036 (which is correct). The problem is when I dial my isp, it will
dial but it will not actually connect. I know my isp uses PAP authentication,
and that is what I specified to pppconfig. I am using pppd to dial my isp (I
don't have kde or gnome installed).

My distro is Debian 2.2r4 and my kernel is 2.4.20. I have even tried
uninstalling and reinstalling the driver several times, and I still can't get it
to connect.

I also have a 14.4 ISA modem (not a winmodem) and it will successfully dial and
connect to my isp.

If anyone has any idea on why my winmodem won't connect I'd really appreciate
some help.