[hcflinux] voice

George Bell gbell5 at cox.net
Tue May 27 11:06:52 EDT 2003

Stuart Longland wrote:

>ms wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>I have zoltrix III chips (voice) modem (conexant), but
>>after I installed the driver in Redhat and Mandrake,
>>in config files, it is defined as "fax/data" modem
>>and it doesn't include "voice".  What should I do?
>>Thanks a lot
>>Yours
>>

>Hi,
>	I think you'll find that the modem will still do voice, some of the
>programs are a bit shakey with their support for the voice functionality
>on Connexant-based modems, but it is supported.  The issue you've
>pointed out I think is more a case of the configuration utility not
>knowing if the modem can do voice or not.
>
>	Anyone care to backup/correct me here?

Well, the only sure way to find out is to ask the modem with the command
"AT+FCLASS=?"
The configuration utility probably uses this command, but to confirm
yourself you can start minicom with the port set properly, and issue the
command.  If the modem supports voice you should see an "8" in the response.