[hcflinux] Hopeless Modem after reinstal

Geoff Lane geoff at 3lanes.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 15:00:23 EDT 2003

I have a Rockwell modem installed which gives the following details;

MODEM #1:
  PCI CONFIGURATION INFORMATION READ:
     VENDOR ID              : 127A
     DEVICE ID              : 1002
     SUBVENDOR ID           : 127A
     SUBDEVICE ID           : 1002
     REVISION ID            : 01

  DEDUCED INFORMATION:
     VENDOR NAME            : ROCKWEL
     DEVICE NAME            : UNKNOWN
     SUBVENDOR NAME         : UNKNOWN
     MODEM TYPE             : HCF
     WINXP INBUILD SUPPORT  : YES

It is faultless under Windows and ** was ** even better (appeared faster)
when run under Linux Mandrake V9 but owing to a disk problem I had to
reinstal Linux.

Now my modem has major connection problems, the line drops regularly and it
appears slow.

It was suggested I try S10=255, this appeared to work but instead of
dropping lines afetr 5 minutes connection it now appears to last 10 or 15
but traffic just stops.

I'm not familiar enough with Linux to know what to look at.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Geoff Lane
Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club
www.whcc.co.uk