[hcflinux] giving up (was WinModem still do not work)

Raymond S Cheng rscheng at angelfire.com
Fri Jun 27 14:37:04 EDT 2003

Dear Jean-simon

Thank you for your comments.

>I think you might have an IRQ assignment problem because the modem seems to
>be sharing IRQ 9 with other devices and this can potentially cause problems.
>
>You can try playing with the kernel options "noapic", "acpi=off" and/or
>"apm=off".

It turns out the acpi was off.
I listed the file,

/etc/lilo.conf

below.

>If that doesn't work, you can try to configure and install a generic kernel
>with the ACPI patches found on this web site:
>http://sf.net/projects/acpi

Unfortunately, this page doesn't have much
docs.  I think I going to buy a modem and
be done with it.  I using a 4 years old Dell
laptop.  Is it better to get an internal or
external modem?

Again, thanks for your help.

RSC

---------- /etc/lilo.conf -----------

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
default="linux"
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="linux"
	root=/dev/hda1
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="devfs=mount acpi=off quiet"
	vga=788
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="linux-nonfb"
	root=/dev/hda1
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="devfs=mount acpi=off"
	read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label="failsafe"
	root=/dev/hda1
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
	append="devfs=nomount acpi=off failsafe"
	read-only
other=/dev/fd0
	label="floppy"
	unsafe